Sunday, May 26, 2013

" I did not think myself authorized to seize upon any arms the property of private persons"

  "GENERAL WASHINGTON TO MR. GERRY.

   "CAMP AT PENNYBACKERS MILL, SEPT. 27, 1777.

   "SIR,

   "I am favoured with your's of the 25th. I yesterday wrote you that I did not think myself authorized to seize upon any arms the property of private persons; but if they can be collected and the owners satisfied for them, it would be of very essential service, as great numbers of militia would join the army could they be furnished with arms. I am glad you have began the collection of blankets and shoes; this business cannot be carried to too great an extent and I think if the measure is properly pursued, great quantities of blankets, rugs and coverlids, may be collected in the back counties..."

[The Life of ELBRIDGE GERRY. With Contemporary Letters. TO THE CLOSE OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. BY JAMES T AUSTIN. BOSTON: WELLS AND LILLY--COURT STREET. 1828.] (Elbridge Thomas Gerry, (July, 1744 – November 23, 1814), was an American statesman and diplomat. As a Democratic-Republican he was selected as the fifth Vice President of the United States (1813–1814), serving under James Madison.)

No comments: