Thursday, January 21, 2016

Maj. Samuel Nason, "and lead them on to trample on the necks of those who shall dare to infringe on their liberties. . . . in defence of the rights of mankind, and show to the world that you will not submit to tyranny.", Jan. 30, 1788

   "Britain attempted to enforce her arbitrary measures by a standing army. But, sir, we had patriots then who alarmed us of our danger; who showed us the serpent, and bade us beware of it. Shall I name them ? I fear I shall offend your excellency, but I cannot avoid it. I must. We had a Hancock, an Adams, and a Warren. Our sister states, too, produced a Randolph, a Washington, a Greene, and a Montgomery, who led us in our way. Some of these have given up their lives in defence of the liberties of their country; and my prayer to God is, that, when this race of illustrious patriots shall have bid adieu to the world, from their dust, as from the sacred ashes of the phoenix, another race may arise, who shall take our posterity by the hand, and lead them on to trample on the necks of those who shall dare to infringe on their liberties. . . . . But I beseech you, my countrymen, for the sake of your posterity, to act like those worthy men who have stood forth in defence of the rights of mankind, and show to the world that you will not submit to tyranny."--Maj. Samuel Nason, Jan. 30, 1788, Debates In The Convention Of The Commonwealth Of Massachusetts On The Adoption Of The Federal Constitution. [Elliot's Debates, Vol. II, Pg. 136-7]

No comments: