Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Wail of the siren and flashing lights . . .

   Yes officer, did I do something wrong?

   Well no, I just pulled you over with some lame excuse in order to see if I can get you on something else. Is that a firearm you are wearing?

   Yes officer, it is.

   I'm going to have to ask you to give it to me sloooooowly.

   Why?

   For my safety, that's why.

   But, wait a minute officer. I've done nothing against the law, and aren't you my hired servant?

   Look pal, I don't need a civics lesson. I'm just following procedure.

   I'm sorry officer, but I don't see how your "procedure" outweighs my right as secured by the "supreme law of the land". And I'm not posing any threat to you at all, nor have I committed any crime. Besides, how does your "safety" as a servant become more important than mine as one of your masters?

   Because that's the way it is!

   I'm sorry officer, but I must disagree. Did you not sware a solemn oath to the effect of the following manner?--
   "I (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution and laws of the State of ____________, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and defend them against enemies, foreign and domestic, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge, the duties of a peace officer, to the best of my ability, so help me God."   
   Why yes, I most certainly did.

   And if I'm not mistaken, does not that Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this state, in substance, state the following?--
   "The right of the people to keep and bear shall no be infringed"?
   Yes, it does . . . but our 'procedure' states...

   Let me ask you something, officer. What has more weight; your 'procedure' or the "Supreme Law of the Land"? Whose "safety" is paramount, that of the servant or that of the "master"?

   Well, ah....

   Was not the whole purpose of securing that right in the first place. To keep you from doing that which you are asking me to do right now?

No comments: