Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Flanked by 2,000 heavily armed citizens the captives were ordered to march"


Citizens of Bisbee Drive
1,193 Strike Inciters
to New Mexico.


Appeal Is Made to President
Wilson and U. S. 'Mili
tary Authorities.


German Money Operating to
Embarrass Government
War Industries.
Nebraska Bars
I. W. W. From Kansas
LINCOLN, Neb., July 12.--
  Members of the Industrial Workers of the World are coming to Nebraska in large numbers from the Kansas harvest fields, according to police officials. A band of fifty arrived on a freight train last night, expecting to stop here, but the police compelled them to continue their journey.
  At Fairbury, Neb., thirty industrial Workers were placed on a freight train and shipped out of town.
Federal agents are investigating a report that the I. W. W. had threatened to burn the main crops.

   San Francisco, July 12. From .the Canadian border to Mexico civic, State and military authorities are on the alert to-night to repress the series of internal disorders that have been precipitated, by the Industrial Workers of the World. Gov. Campbell of Arizona, realizing that the situation has grown beyond the control of the State authorities, has appealed by wire to Gen. Parker, U.S.A., commanding Fort Sam Houston. Texas, for military aid.
   Gov. Campbell, at Phoenix to-night also wired President Wilson recommending that Federal troops be sent to the following mining regions in Arizona:
  The Clifton and Morenci district, Bisbee, Jerome, Mojave county, Humbolt, Ray and Ajo.
  President Wilson earlier had been urged, In a message sent to him through the Department of Labor by Federal Mediators John McBride and G.W.P. Hunt, to take prompt action to stop the deportation of strikers from Bisbee and Douglas, both in Arizona, to the end that sympathetic strikes and Industrial paralysis may be prevented.
Armed Citizens Watch Trains.

   Meanwhile, packed in cattle and box cars, 1,193 members or the Industrial Workers of the World have been herded from Bisbee under the rifles of a Sheriff's posse and the threat of three machine guns and bundled along to Columbus, N.M., where it is stated that they will be placed under the protection of the guard of soldiers of the United States army. Three women were in the herded band that was corralled in the baseball park at Bisbee preliminary to the deportations.
  Despatches from all points along the line between Bisbee and Mexico say that local authorities and citizens, all heavily armed, are watching for the passing trains with tha firm determination of preventing any debarkation this side of the border.
  United States troops under the command of Col. J.J. Hornbrook are already in command at Bisbee. They have established censorship over all reports regarding the I.W.W. and have taken full charge of the telegraph and telephone lines leading to the outside world. A bulletin sent out by the Associated Press announced that the censorship was thorough.
  The only official report, of the disturbances went from Col.. Hornbrook to the headquarters of the Southern Department at San Antonio. Tex., in which he said that approximately 1,100 members of the organization were deported from Bisbee to-day after being rounded up by a posse of citizens under the direction of the Sheriff.

German Influences Charged.

  It is openly charged that the Industrial Workers of the World, under the influence of German suggestion, are operating to "embarrass the United States Government" by disturbing labor and industry and curtailing production. The sheriff at Bisbee, in a formal statement, indorses these charges, and declares that the roundup will be 100 per cent efficient to the end that no member of the order will remain in his district when the work is completed.
  The uprising is more than a labor disturbance. It is one of those peculiar internal movements that fill a category all their own. The Industrial Workers of the World, under the red flag of international opposition to organized government, and bearing red Individual card charged with seeking to destroy property and industry with the end of forcing the establishing of an "industrial democracy."
  They have adopted the teachings of George Sorel, a Frenchman, and his plan of sabotage, or property destruction to compel the acquiescence of the community to his brand of democracy. Is alleged to be the cardinal element behind the new troubles of the West this long disturbing Institution.

Two Men Killed at Bisbee.

  Two men were killed during the disturbances of the day at Bisbee, one of them being a deputy sheriff who was one of the 2,000 armed men conducting the roundup, and the other a striker who me conflict with the Citizens Protective League in its determined stand to rid the town of the objectionable residents.
  The genesis of the present trouble [Continued on Second Page] came two weeks ago when a strike was called by the metal workers branch of the I.W.W. Since that time scores of strange men reached the town. They are charged with having come to prevent the miners from returning to work.
  At midnight last night Sheriff Harry C. Wheeler completed his plans for ridding the town of the visitors and their allies. Within two hours he had organized 1,200 men and had ordered them to report to various points by 4 o'clock this morning. When the men reported those who had not brought arms were supplied with rifles and revolvers. Instructions to use the arms only in self-defence came with the weapons.
  "Your watchword will be 'Until the last I.W.W. is run out."' said the Sheriff to his newly formed deputies. Then he issued a proclamation calling upon all women and children to remain away from the streets and indoors. With this stage setting the largest roundup of human beings ever attempted In the West was commenced in deadly earnest.

"Vagrancy and Treason" Charge.

  The deputies were ordered to arrest all persons who disturbed the peace, declined to work or had congregated to harass others and prevent them from pursuing their dally toil. "Vagrancy and treason" were the charges made to cover the general sins of the offending body.
  Simultaneously five bands of armed citizens appeared as if by magic. Some hurried from alleys, others came streaming from store rooms and some sprang down from low roofs of business buildings. All marched In a businesslike manner to the centre of the town. Every strange man on the streets was challenged.
  "Hold on, stranger, what's your business?" "What are you doing in Bisbee," and "How long have you been here?" were some of the questions asked by the little groups as they surrounded each man. Every suspicious looking individual was placed under arrest.
  Fifty pickets at the entrance to the Copper Queen mines. In front of the post office, were arrested when twenty-five armed citizens surrounded them. Four squads of citizens, coming from different parts of the city, reached the centre of the town at the same time. Each band was marching with several hundred prisoners. As each man was detained he was ordered to put his hands in the air and deputies quickly searched him for weapons. As the prisoners marched along the streets hundreds of rifles were leveled at their heads from all sides.
  After an hour's wait captors and captured marched to the depot, where another squad on duty had taken charge of several hundred more men.
At 8 :30 o'clock the prisoners were lined up two abreast.
  Flanked by 2,000 heavily armed citizens the captives were ordered to march down the railroad tracks toward Warren. At Lowell, a suburb, about 300 more I.W.W.'s were merged Into the procession.
  The baseball park at Warren was chosen for the place of assembling the men to be deported. When the prisoners were inside the enclosure half the armed bands formed a guard around the park while the other half started a systematic search of the entire district for the men who were identified with the I.W.W. or who could not account tor their presence in a satisfactory manner.

Speakers Hooted and Jeered.

  Armed men went through rooming houses and restaurants questioning every one. Those who did not answer satisfactorily were marched between long lines of citizens to the park. For two hours leaders of the I.W.W. attempted to make themselves heard above the hoots and Jeers of the crowds. When it seemed as if the park would hold no more six additional squads of prisoners were packed in and the guards were increased.
  Shortly before noon a special train of cattle cars rolled up to the park. The prisoners were marched in single file from the enclosure up the runways and on to the cars. As each man entered the car, according to the authorities, he was asked If he wanted to go to work or if he could give the name of a reliable citizen who would vouch for him. Those who expressed a desire for employment were held for further Investigation.
  Several prominent citizens of Bisbee and Lowell who openly declared they were in sympathy with the I.W.W. movement were forced into the cars with the unkempt crowds. Among these was William B. Cleary, an attorney widely known through Arizona, who was taken into custody when the raid started. Cleary was alleged to have spoken openly in sympathy with the I.W.W. movement.

Hundreds Still Patrol Streets.
  The train left at noon. As it departed cheers and jeers were mingled. Some of the deported ones waved their hands and their caps and shouted:
"Good-by, Blsbee!"
  All afternoon the citizens continued the work of questioning every one on the streets. To-night hundreds of men are patrolling the streets. Every male citizen is armed, some with shotguns and others with a variety of pistols, revolvers and rifles...."

- The Sun, New York, Friday, July 13, 1917. Vol. LXXXIV.--NO. 316. Pg. 1 & 2.

No comments: