Thursday, January 21, 2016

George Nicholas, "Do I grant the whole thousand acres, when I grant five hundred, unless I declare that the five hundred I do not give belong to me still? It is so in this ease. After granting some powers, the rest must remain with the people.", Jume 14, 1788

   "But why were the articles of the bill of rights read? Let him [Patrick Henry] show us that those rights are given up by the Constitution. Let him prove them to be violated. He tells us that the most worthy characters of the country differ as to the necessity of a bill of rights. It is a simple and plain proposition. It is agreed upon by all that the people have all power. If they part with any of it, is it necessary to declare that they retain the rest? Liken it to any similar ease. If I have one thousand acres of land, and I grant five hundred acres of it, must I declare that I retain the other five hundred? Do I grant the whole thousand acres, when I grant five hundred, unless I declare that the five hundred I do not give belong to me still? It is so in this ease. After granting some powers, the rest must remain with the people."--Mr. George Nicholas, Jume 14, 1788, The Debates In The Convention Of The State Of Virginia, On The Adoption Of The Federal Constitution. [Elliot's Debates, Vol. III, Pg. 444] (Mr. Nicholas was a Lieut. Colonel in the Continental Army, attended the College of William & Mary to study law, then served in the Virginia House of Delegates. He and James Madison were friends.)

No comments: