Sunday, May 26, 2013

"it will be such resistance as freemen should make, with arms in their hands"

"Had I voted against the bill, believing this modern doctrine, should have felt myself bound, as a consistent man, to have gone home and told my constituents that a proposition was made in Congress to relieve them from two millions of their burdens, which I had rejected with scorn, but that I had brought them the glorious remedy of nullification. I knew the temper of that people too well; I knew they were devotedly attached to the Union of these States, as the last hope of liberty upon earth, and that they were not inclined to jeopard it upon a doubtful point of political economy. Whenever sir, I persuade the people whom I represent, to resist the laws of this Government, it will be such resistance as freemen should make, with arms in their hands, and not a pettifogging chicanery through the courts."

- Mr. WILLIAM B. SHEPARD, Jan. 29, 1833, Speech in the U.S. House of Representatives on the Tariff Bill, [REGISTER OF DEBATES IN CONGRESS COMPRISING THE LEADING DEBATES AND INCIDENTS OF THE SECOND SESSION OF THE TWENTY-SECOND CONGRESS: TOGETHER WITH AN APPENDIX, CONTAINING IMPORTANT STATE PAPERS AND PUBLIC DOCUMENTS, AND THE LAWS, OF A PUBLIC NATURE, ENACTED DURING THE SESSION: WITH A COPIOUS INDEX TO THE WHOLE. VOLUME IX. WASHINGTON: PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY GALES AND SEATON. 1833. Pg. 1440]

No comments: