Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"there have been a good many pistols given away to members of Congress"

   "Mr. CLINGMAN. I believe there have been a good many pistols given away to members of Congress; and I take it for granted that the gentlemen who have given them away are connected with this application. I do not intend to say that the vote of any member has been influenced from any such source. I do not believe any such thing. I do not say that it would be improper for a member to receive one of these pistols. This is matter that every gentleman must determine for himself. Perhaps they were not presented with any design of having an effect in reference to this bill; but I take it for granted that the gentleman who has been disposing of these pistols is connected with Mr. Colt in some way.

   "Mr. McMULLIN. I have no doubt that he has disposed of these pistols as he had a perfect right to do. I do not know whether the gentleman from North Carolina has had the good fortune to receive one or not.

   "Mr. CLINGMAN. I have not, and, under the circumstances, with this bill pending before the House, I should not feel at liberty to receive one. I do not mean to say that there would be anything absolutely improper in doing it. Other gentlemen may have done it; and if so, it is not me to cast any censure upon them. As a private citizen, I might accept one if it were offered me. But when it was offered to me as a member Congress, in view of this application, I should not feel at liberty to accept it. When it was understood that the gentleman was attorney, or in any way interested in this application, I should of course have felt some delicacy. I am laying a rule for myself, and nobody else. I know that those who take a view of the question different from mine are quite as fastidious as I am in regard."
[THE CONGRESSIONAL GLOBE. THE OFFICIAL PROCEEDINGS OF CONGRESS, PUBLISHED BY JOHN C. RIVES, WASHINGTON, D.C. 33D Congress, 1st Session. Monday, JULY 10, 1854. NEW SERIES....No. 104. Pg. 1650]

No comments: